The mnemonic RACE may help you remember what to do during a fire:
- R – Rescue & Remove anyone from immediate danger from a fire. Try to keep groups/classes together.
- A – Alarm. Activate the nearest fire alarm, and call 911 with important information.
- C – Contain. Help contain the spread of the fire by closing doors in the area. Always feel a door for heat before opening.
- E – Extinguish. You may be able to extinguish small fires (about the size of an office trash can). Do not waste evacuation time or put yourself in danger by trying to extinguish a fire. Evacuate for all fires and fire alarms.
Once you are a safe distance from the building, reunite with your group to make sure everyone is safe. Do not attempt to re-enter a building.
To operate a fire extinguisher, remember PASS:
- P – Pull the pin.
- A – Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- S – Squeeze the handle.
- S – Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire.
Building Evacuation Guidelines
- Try to remain with your class/group as you evacuate.
- Avoid using elevators, if possible.
- Proceed to your designated emergency assembly points, at least 500 feet from the building(s).
- Once at the emergency assembly
- Determine if everyone made it out safely.
- Report any important details (missing students, causes, injuries) to MGCCC Police.
- Stay clear of emergency vehicles.
- Everyone should stay in the emergency assembly point until instructed by authorities.
- Do not activate a fire alarm unless there is actually a fire.