West Harrison County Center – Fall Entry
Start Working as a Massage Therapist in Two Semesters
About the Program
The Massage Therapy program is a one-year certificate program designed to prepare students for careers as professional massage therapists. The curriculum prepares students to develop knowledge and skills for practicing massage therapy.
Core courses emphasize:
- Massage therapy principles
- Business application
- Anatomy and physiology
- Technique modalities
Students completing this program should be able to find jobs in employment settings such as:
- Fitness centers
- Wellness centers
- Sports organizations
- Doctors’ offices
- Private practices
The massage therapy field pays an average wage of $24,610 a year.
Degree Options and Requirements
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be eligible to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB), accepted by the Mississippi State Board of Massage Therapy (MSBMT). Students must pass the MBLEx in order to be a Licensed Massage Therapist within the state of Mississippi, as well as successful completion of the Mississippi State Law Examination (MSLE), administered by the MSBMT.
This program leads to an Associate of Applied Science Degree and is preparatory for employment upon graduation from MGCCC. Where a transfer to 4-year college or university is desired, a conference should be scheduled with a MGCCC advisor.
All students completing a career or technical program must complete either the MS-CPAS (Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System) or an MGCCC Board- approved Technical Skills Attainment assessment where applicable. Students should see an advisor for further details.
- Complete application and be accepted to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Application can be completed online.
- Submit copies of official transcripts of all schools attended to the Intake Specialist at the West Harrison County Center. All transcripts must be reviewed for determination of course credits.
- Meet all Academic Requirements (listed below) and complete any program pre-requisites or Entry Requirements.
- After successful completion of all academic and entry requirements, the student will submit a Massage Therapy Application for Program Admission. Please schedule an appointment with the Massage Therapy Program Director at the West Harrison County Center to complete and submit your Massage Therapy program Application at 228-563-2224.
Application deadline for Fall entry programs is June 30. All test scores, transcripts and required documentation must be received by this date. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Late applications may be considered depending upon the availability of program openings.
Academic and Entry Requirements
- At least 18 years of age.
- Achieve a minimum ACT of 16 (composite) with at least 12 in Reading and Science.
- Meet with the Massage Therapy Program Director and submit the Massage Therapy Application.
- Complete the Gulf Coast Work Ready Training class.
Program openings are filled based on Selective Admission; applicants are ranked based on their individual achievement test scores and prior college course work. Student ranking for entry into the Massage Therapy program is based on a point system. Students are awarded points for their required ACT composite score. Points will also be awarded for a conferred health- related Associate Degree or a Bachelor or higher conferred degree. Program enrollment as specified by the MS Board of Massage Therapy is limited to 15 students. Students who are selected are also held to the following program policies:
Massage Therapy Program Policies
- Once a program opening has been awarded, the student will be required to obtain a clear or acceptable Criminal Background Check from the MGCCC Campus Police at JD, JC, Perkinston or the George County Campus/Center. MGCCC’s Criminal Background Check Policy can be viewed on-line at www.mgccc.edu/programs_of_study/health_related_programs/
- Upon admission to the Massage Therapy program, students must maintain a 2.0 GPA on the required courses and complete each course with a C or better.
Massage Therapy Program Expenses
Non Refundable (Estimate only, cost may be subject to change)
Prior to Entering Program
- Initial Criminal Background Check $50-$80 (MGCCC Campus Police)
Once Admitted into Program
- Uniform, Accessories $150-$200.
- Additional purchase items, supplies $50-$150.
- Mississippi State Board of Massage Therapy Exams and Initial Licensure Costs $581.
Massage Therapy Program Coursework
1 Year Certificate
For class times, visit the MGCCC class schedules.
Massage Therapy Certificate
Total Credits: 39
Massage Therapy Diploma
|MGT 2223 - Massage Therapy III||3|
|MGT 2233 - Massage Therapy IV||3|
Total Credits: 6
Associate of Applied Science Degree
|ENG 1113 / 1114 English Composition I or ENG 1033 Technical English||3/4|
|SPT 1113 - Public Speaking I||3|
|Math/Natural Science Elective||3/4*|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||3|
Total Credits: 15/17
Please refer to “The Credit by Non-Traditional Means” regarding stipulations for receiving articulated credit.
The new 1-year, 700 hour Massage Therapy program at MGCCC is approved and licensed by the Mississippi State Board of Massage Therapy (MSBMT), P.O. Box 20, Morton, MS 39117, 601-732-6038, under Temporary License #1711. Industry standards referenced are from the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork Content Outline.