Apply to PTA
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, VA, 22305-3085; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: https://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 601-528-8714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is November 1st.
Download the Admissions Checklist
- Apply and become accepted to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. You can apply to MGCCC online.
- Submit copies of official transcripts of all schools attended to the Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be reviewed by the Office of Admission for determination of course credits.
- Meet all Academic Requirements (listed below) and complete any program pre-requisites or Entry Requirements.
- Complete the Physical Therapist Assistant Supplemental Application for Program Admission.
To complete and submit the online Supplemental Application:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application.
Thereafter, the applicant MUST read the guidelines carefully. In order to complete and submit the application, college admission and ALL pre-requisite requirements are required.
Supplemental Application Deadline Dates: November 1st (If deadline falls on a weekend, holiday, or closing, the deadline is 5 p.m. on the next college business day). ALL required test scores, transcripts, and entry items (CBC, pre-orientation, etc.) must be completed with results placed in Banner (MGCCC’s computer information system) by the appropriate college employee prior to the deadline. In addition, any outstanding college holds must be clear in order for the applicant to complete and submit the supplemental program application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. (MGCCC reserves the right to review additional supplemental applications following the posted deadline).
Academic and Entry Requirements
- Achieve a minimum Composite ACT Score of 18
- Have a minimum cumulative (GPA) of 2.5 on college work with no grade less than “C” on any Academic Core* courses in the current PTA curriculum. (Courses may be re-taken and highest score will be used)
- Complete pre-requisites. Student must complete BIO 2514 – Anatomy and Physiology I & BIO 2524 – Anatomy and Physiology II prior to making application.
- Register for and complete the HESI A2 Exam – HESI Exam Registration and Dates 2022-2023
- Review the online mandatory Pre-School of Nursing and Health Professions Orientation Session prior to completing the supplemental application for program ranking. The session can be viewed anytime and anywhere you have access to the internet. The Power Point presentation gives you valuable information on topics common to all School of Nursing and Health Professions programs at MGCCC. Even without the ability to speak directly or interact immediately with a School of Nursing and Health Professions advisor, the session speaks to frequently asked questions from program entrance to completion. In order to receive credit for viewing the session, follow the steps below. The information is approximately one (1) hour in length.
- Student must complete and document 40 hours of Clinical Observation in the field of Physical Therapy. The PTA Clinical Observation Form should be completed by the practitioner under which you observed. Receipt of this form by November 1st is required for applicants to be eligible for admission. Follow instructions on form for submission.
To complete this requirement, do the following:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application Orientation Session.
- In order to receive credit, you must review the entire session.
- Click survey complete so that your log-in information will be recorded in the college’s BANNER system.
Comply with Mississippi law requiring a Criminal Background History Check with Fingerprinting through the Mississippi Department of Health. All students making application to a School of Nursing and Health Professions program at MGCCC are required to obtain a clear or acceptable Criminal Background Check from the MGCCC Campus Police Department at Harrison County, Jackson County, Perkinston, or George County Campuses. The criminal background check policy (including testing dates and times) can be viewed at School of Nursing and Health Professions Criminal Background Check Policy
Program openings are filled based on Selective Admission; applicants are ranked based on their individual achievement test scores and prior college course work. Student ranking for entry into the Physical Therapist Assistant program is based on the GPA, ACT composite, and the HESI Entry Exam. Program enrollment for the inaugural cohort will be set at a maximum of fifteen (15) students. Students are selected according to the following criteria:
- Academic Core GPA – 10%
- Cumulative GPA – 30%
- ACT Composite – 30%
- HESI A2 Exam – 30%
Physical Therapist Assistant Program Policies
- All School of Nursing and Health Professions students are required to submit to substance testing in accordance with the substance testing policy and procedures. View the School of Nursing and Health Professions Substance Testing Policy.
- The School of Nursing and Health Professions requires proof of Immunizations and/or CPR. Submission of all required documents will begin following program acceptance. Failure to meet the requirements will result in withdrawal/dismissal.
- Upon admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program, students must maintain a 2.5 GPA on the required courses and complete each course with a C or better.
- Adherence to additional clinical affiliation requirements may be necessary depending on clinical rotation placement. (i.e. hospital orientation, HIPPA training, CPR certification).
- School of Nursing and Health Professions Student Manual (PDF)