Scholarship student
Riley Brown

Riley Brown, a Gautier resident and sophomore at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Jackson County Campus, has been named a recipient of the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program.  The scholarship, which may be as much as $120,000, will cover her graduate studies and medical school at The University of Mississippi Medical Center upon her successful entry into the program.

Brown was also named a 2018 Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholar.  A biomedical engineering major, her focus is pre-medicine.

“I have dreamed of getting into this program ever since I first heard of it,” Brown said. “I can’t wait to finally be a part of such an outstanding program, which will allow me to assist in the prosperity and well-being of communities in my home state of Mississippi.”

She is president of the Jackson County Campus Phi Theta Kappa chapter and is a member of the Honors College, Reflections Team, Student Government Association and Circle K International.  She was named to the Jackson County Campus Hall of Fame and Who’s Who Among MGCCC Students; won the 2019 Engineering Award; and was named Most Outstanding Chemistry Student.

The Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program offers a scholarship to rural medical students in Mississippi who agree to practice in underserved rural areas of Mississippi for at least four years upon completion of their degree. Students are mentored throughout the program, from undergraduate to initial practice.

Share This Article