With the 2019 hurricane season beginning June 1, the college administration has made preparations for potential storms and storm surges/flooding. All college employees are encouraged to take a moment to review their campus and department severe-weather policies and plans and go over the pertinent information with students. Both employees and students should also review their personal emergency weather plans.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a near normal hurricane season, with a 70 percent likelihood of nine to 15 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher. Of those named storms, the forecasters predict four to eight could become hurricanes, including two to four major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5, with winds of 111 mph or higher).
Hurricanes have winds of 74 mph or higher, and major hurricanes are considered to be at least Category 3. An average hurricane season brings 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes.
The season officially runs through November 30.
The MGCCC administration wants to remain prepared for any eventuality as there is always a possibility of a storm striking the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Communications play a key role during any emergency, so college information will be communicated through the Regroup Mass Notification System, the college website and social media.
To enhance communication efforts, please review the following checklist:
▪ To ensure notification through Regroup, visit Web Services by logging in through My Gulf Coast on the college website at https://mgccc.edu/mygulfcoast/.
Once you have logged in to the secure area, update your emergency notification information at the bottom, left-hand side of the page under the Personal Information tab. It will ask you to provide both a cellphone number and emergency email address. You will receive emergency information as a telephone call/voice mail, as a text message and/or as an email message.
▪ Employees and students are encouraged to check the website and the MGCCC Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MGCCC/, and to follow the college’s Twitter feed @MGCCCBulldogs and/or Instagram at @mgcccbulldogs for periodic college updates during severe-weather situations.
▪ If evacuation becomes necessary, students and employees who evacuate will find important updates through local television, radio and newspapers as well as Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s statewide network of radio and television affiliates. MPB’s radio frequencies are listed on all state evacuation signs.
▪ The college administration will continue to monitor evolving conditions in the tropics and will issue updates throughout the summer and fall.
▪ Periodic updates will be posted on this section of the website throughout the 2019 hurricane season.
The following sites are also important to hurricane preparedness:
The safety, protection and well-being of our employees and students are of the utmost importance as we prepare for severe weather and other emergencies.