Portrait of Nader Pahlevan
Nader Pahlevan

Nader Pahlevan, a Biloxi resident and sophomore at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Jefferson Davis Campus, has been named a recipient of the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program (MRPSP).  The scholarship, which may be as much as $120,000, will cover his graduate studies and medical school at The University of Mississippi Medical Center upon his successful entry into the program.

Pahlevan was also a semifinalist for the prestigious Jack Kent Cooke Transfer Scholarship, was named a 2018 GEICO Pathway to Completion Associate Degree Scholar and an Academic Excellence Scholar. He is a sophomore majoring in computer science and pre-medicine, and plans to become a pediatrician. 

“When I heard that I had been accepted into the Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program, I was filled with excitement,” he said. “The selection process was rigorous, but I stayed focused on my passion of helping those who were in need of medical treatment. I knew where I wanted to be in the future, so I knew that I needed to take every opportunity that was available to me. MRPSP gives me the opportunity of early acceptance into medical school, while giving me a chance for a scholarship that pays for my future tuition. Not to mention, on top of all of that, I am able to practice in rural areas where medical assistance is needed the most.”

He has served as president of Phi Theta Kappa for the Mississippi/Louisiana Region, vice president of Leadership for the PTK Omicron Alpha Chapter and is a member of the campus Reflections Team. At this year’s Awards Day ceremony, he received the Excellence in Honors Award and was named to the Who’s Who Among Students at MGCCC and the Jefferson Davis Campus Hall of Fame.

The Mississippi Rural Physicians Scholarship Program offers a scholarship to rural medical students in Mississippi who agree to practice in underserved rural areas of Mississippi for at least four years upon completion of their degree. Students are mentored throughout the program, from undergraduate to initial practice.

Share This Article