National PBL winners

Three Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College students placed in national competitions at the Phi Beta Lambda National Leadership Experience in June.  In addition, Angela Butler, chair of the School of Business, Law, Hospitality, & Culinary and Office Technology instructor at the Perkinston Campus, was recognized as one of 14 PBL Outstanding Local Chapter Advisers.

“I was as excited as the students when I found out about the award,” Butler said.  “I am very honored to be recognized.  As for the students, PBL is a wonderful opportunity for them to network with business contacts across the nation and demonstrate their knowledge and skills in various business areas. The organization provides a chance for students to ‘step outside of their box’ and participate in events that are outside of their comfort zones. The students get to build on the skills they learn in the classroom and apply them in the work setting.”

The national conference and competitions were held online this summer, with students taking timed tests and meeting with judges via video conferencing.

Karah Lundy of Slidell won third in Business Communication.  At state competitions in February, she won first place in Business Communication and in Future Business.  She had previously won first place in both Business Communication and Future Business.  “I was incredibly honored to win at both state and nationals,” she said. “There were so many other talented competitors. It was a nerve-wracking and awesome event, but also memorable.”

Kathy Necaise of Lumberton won fifth place in Future Business Educator.  She won first place in Future Business Educator and fourth place in Accounting Principles at state competitions. “I felt honored to have the chance to compete in the PBL National Leadership Online Experience this year,” Necaise said. “Finding out that I had placed in my event was a great surprise and gives me such a sense of accomplishment.”

Kelonda Terry of Gulfport won sixth place in Job Interview.  During state competitions, she won first place in Job Interview and in Management Concepts.  “One of the most exciting accomplishments I have ever completed was winning first place in both Job Interview and Management Concepts at the 2020 Mississippi Phi Beta Lambda Leadership Conference,” she said. “It was quite an experience and an honor to represent MGCCC at both the state and national levels.”

Share This Article