Student art show art workThe work of fine-art students at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Harrison County Campus, will be featured in the annual Spring Student Art Exhibit and Competition in the Fine Art Gallery April 11-29, 2022. The entries include projects made in drawing, design, painting, and computer art courses.

Among the students showcased in the exhibit is Bethany Johnson of Waveland, who will be transferring to Belhaven University in the fall. “Beginning my college journey has allowed me to further explore and expand my artistic abilities. I’ve naturally gravitated to a more realistic approach to my work but have recently begun the shift to more expressive and abstract work,” she said.  “I personally enjoy the more subjective views on artwork, and what makes individuals examine themselves through the things I create. As an artist, it’s so vital for me to not only create ‘good’ art but to also make art that truly reveals who I am.”

Vinh Vo of Biloxi is completing his second semester at MGCCC and is interested in working in the animation industry for movies or games one day. He is a familiar face at the Harrison County Campus. He’s taking seven classes and is involved in five clubs, all while working as a server at Saltgrass Steakhouse. When not working, he devotes his time to working on highly detailed works of art, taking his feedback from class to heart and doing his best to improve his talent with each project. “My art has improved from my first semester, especially my shading. I mostly use pencil because I’m not the best with colors,” he said. “My art style has been drawing realism, but eventually since I’m going into the animation industry, I have to draw characters that fit the themes.”

Freshman Lisa Tran of D’Iberville plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in art and one day work as a freelance illustrator. Her goal is to showcase her work in multiple galleries and sell more of her artwork. “I grew up always looking out from my window and daydreaming. My art explores my inner childhood fantasy and the beauty of life,” she said. “I like to create semi-realistic colorful art and try to convey a dreamlike state with my subject. My artwork has been inspired by my Asian background and my childhood.”

Madeline Love of Ocean Springs plans to transfer to Mississippi State University in the fall to persue her bachelor’s degree in fine arts. She is interested in working in the animation industry or working as a full-time artist. “My ultimate goal is to produce my own animated series. I want to make a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing visual show, while having a complex story line,” she said.  “I’m currently writing the first story I want to share with the world one day, slowly but surely. I can’t wait for the day others get to see what I see in my mind.”

There is no cost to view the exhibit and it is open to the public. The Harrison County Campus is located at 2226 Switzer Road, Gulfport. The art gallery is located in the Fine Arts Building, building D. Gallery hours are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For more information, contact cecily.cummings@mgccc.edu or 228-897-3909.

Share This Article