PTK All-Mississippi students
From left are Avery Higginbotham, Chloe Nguyen, Luke Simpson, Lucia Barberena, Stephen Trest, Lindsey Magee, and Lindsey Diamond.

Six Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College students were named to the All-Mississippi Academic Team this month, and one student was named to the All-Mississippi Workforce Team.  Luke Simpson, Stephen Trest, Lucia Barberena, Chloe Nguyen, Lindsey Diamond, and Lindsey Magee were all named to the all-state team.  Avery Higginbotham was named to the workforce team.

They were recognized at a luncheon in their honor on March 30 at the Perkinston Campus.

Barberena of Ocean Springs is a business marketing major at the Jackson County Campus.  She was named to the All-USA Academic Team and is a New Century Transfer Pathway Scholar and Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Semifinalist. “This is incredible!” she said, “When I first started college, I heard about a number of great scholarships and hoped I could win them.  Now here I am.  I am so very grateful to my advisors and everyone who helped me get here.”

Diamond of Saucier is a mathematics and statistics major at the Perkinston Campus. “I am so grateful to have received the scholarship and I will forever appreciate it,” she said. “I will apply it to further my education and preparing for my future as a Mississippi State University student next fall.”

Higginbotham of Ocean Springs is an instrumentation, automation, and electronics major at the Jackson County Campus. “I have had so much support in my growth at MGCCC,” he said.  “I just feel that if you understand yourself first and your aspirations, it is easier to understand and conquer the world.”

Magee of Necaise is a business marketing and management major at the Perkinston Campus. “I had no idea how being involved in PTK would impact my time here at MGCCC,” she said. “Being a part of such a special team of officers and advisors, as well as a member of the Honors College, has helped me grow in so many ways. I couldn’t be more grateful.”

Nguyen of Ocean Springs is a pre-pharmacy major at the Jackson County Campus.  She was also named a Coca-Cola Silver Scholar and a Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Semifinalist. “I am extremely grateful for the endless amount of support from my family, friends and advisors as they have guided me along my journey and helped me grow as a scholar,” she said. “I am blessed to be surrounded by such an awesome support system and am honored to be considered for these scholarships.”

Simpson of Gulfport is a political science and international business major at the Harrison County Campus.  A Collegiate Academy student, he was also named a Coca-Cola Silver Scholar and Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Semifinalist. “Getting the Coca-Cola Scholarship and being a semifinalist for the Cooke Scholarship has been a tremendous honor,” he said.  “I am proud to represent the Omicron Alpha Chapter of PTK with the Coca-Cola Scholarship and I am excited by the prospect of joining the list of Jack Kent Cooke Scholars.”

Trest of Pass Christian is a business administration major at the Harrison County Campus.  “I am super excited to receive this award and am thankful to everyone who has helped me with my education here at MGCCC,” he said. “This scholarship will help me to continue my education once I’ve graduated from here.”

Share This Article