From left are Raila Baker, Human Services Technology instructor at MGCCC’s Jackson County Campus; Brooklyn Reynolds, MGCCC graduate and Bower Foundation Scholar; and Kristi Barlow, psychology instructor at MGCCC’s Jackson County Campus.  Baker and Barlow were instrumental in Reynolds receiving the scholarship.
From left are Raila Baker, Human Services Technology instructor at MGCCC’s Jackson County Campus; Brooklyn Reynolds, MGCCC graduate and Bower Foundation Scholar; and Kristi Barlow, psychology instructor at MGCCC’s Jackson County Campus. Baker and Barlow were instrumental in Reynolds receiving the scholarship.

Brooklyn Reynolds, a 2022 graduate of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, is the recipient of the Bower Foundation Social Work Scholarship. Reynolds will receive $2,500 per semester for five semesters to complete her degree.

Reynolds of Flowood works full time at a nonprofit organization for women in Ocean Springs. She is majoring in social work at The University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Park Campus.

“This scholarship has allowed me to pursue the career of my dreams, a career dedicated to helping individuals, families, and communities to improve their quality of life through counseling and advocacy,” she said. “By furthering my education in social work, I can work toward my career goals and make a positive impact. I am blessed to receive this scholarship.”

The Pathways to the Profession grant through The University of Southern Mississippi School of Social Work seeks to work with five community colleges, including MGCCC, to recruit students into social work. The goal is to produce confident and competent social workers who will ultimately return to the workforce in South Mississippi and provide much needed services to vulnerable and underserved populations in those communities.

Share This Article