MGCCC to hold events honoring veterans at campuses/centers
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s campuses and centers will honor veterans and active duty military on November 5 -12 for Veterans Day.
JACKSON COUNTY CAMPUS
- Complimentary Breakfast for Veterans– Monday, November 5, 8:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Student services Center, Upstairs Lobby
Invitation to all of our veterans—MGCCC faculty, staff and student—in appreciation of their service.
- 5K Fun Run & Walk– Tuesday, November 6, 2:30 p.m.
Curtis L. Davis Gymnasium
Food items for MGCCC Do More Pantry will be accepted as entry fee.
- Veterans American Red Cross Blood Drive
Wednesday, November 7, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Curtis L. Davis gymnasium
- Military-Themed Movie
Wednesday, November 7, All Day
- Veterans Day Program
Thursday, November 8, 12:30 p.m.
Fine Arts Auditorium/Lobby
Event includes performance by the JC Voices and ROTC Drill Team, veterans display, military resource fair, guest speakers and refreshments.
- Military Services Inaugural Ribbon Unveiling
Friday, November 9, 12:30 p.m.
Student Services Center Lobby
For more information about any of the week’s events at the Jackson County Campus, contact Sheila Lowery at 228.497.7752 or email@example.com.
JEFFERSON DAVIS CAMPUS
- Movie Monday – November 5, All Day
Military-themed movies will play throughout the day.
- Military Appreciation Breakfast – Tuesday, November 6, 8:30 – 10 a.m.
Military Services Center Lounge
- Presentation by Dr. Trevor Smith – Tuesday, November 6, 12:30 p.m.
“Appreciation and Pride: How America Has Supported it War Veterans Across Generations.”
- Getting to Know Our Military – November 5-7, All Day
There will be a different branch of the military on campus to create awareness about our military and the jobs they perform; displays and interactive games included.
- Popcorn Week – November 5-7, All Day
We will serve popcorn to thank veterans and active-duty military members for their service.
- Veterans Day Ceremony– Thursday, November 8, 12:30 p.m.
The ceremony will include several veterans as speakers and music by Coastal Vibrations. Refreshments to follow in the Cyber Café.
For more information about any of the week’s activities at the Jefferson Davis Campus, contact Lori Allemand at 228.897.3836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Veterans Day Tribute Ceremony– Thursday, November 8, 2018, 12:30 p.m.
Meet at the flag pole
Includes raising of the flag by Civil Air Patrol, performances by Mississippi Sound and the Perkette Dance Team, wreath laying with playing of “Taps,” and Band of Gold parade. The tribute’s conclusion will be at the Community Arts Center at 1:30 p.m. and will include a woodwind performance, WWII Fallen Soldier Photo Display, light refreshments and presentation of patriot pottery to veterans.
- Veterans Displays– available for viewing throughout campus
- Soldier Silhouettes Under the Oaks
- Honoring those who serve past and present
- In the Willis H. Lott Learning Resources Center
- Employee/Student Military Photo Honor Wall and Fallen Soldier Table in Heidelberg Hall
- WWII Photo Display in the Community Arts Center
- Fallen Soldier 5K Walk/Run– Monday, November 12, 4:30 p.m.
Gregory War Memorial Chapel
Registration begins at 3:45 p.m. This is a noncompetitive event.
For more information about any of the week’s activities on the Perkinston Campus, contact Shellye Smith at 601.928.6325 or email@example.com
GEORGE COUNTY CENTER
- Veterans Luncheon– Monday, November 12, noon
Phi Theta Kappa students will assist the Lucedale Rotary Club in providing lunch for student and staff veterans.
For more information, contact Becky Layton, administrative dean, at 601.766.6422 or