Practical Nursing (PN)
This program is being offered at a special discounted rate. Many of the standard fees, excluding tuition, are being covered by a grant. Contact Debra Buie for more information and details on program costs at email@example.com or
Save up to $1,685 off
- Registration Fee
- Resource Fee
- Technology Fee
- Career Tech Fee
- Substance Testing
- Liability Insurance
- National Board Exam Fee
Become a licensed practical nurse (LPN) with one semester of pre-requisites, two semesters of ADN/PN course work, and the final semester of PN course work. The curriculum allows for a PN entrance and completion or an ADN entrance with a PN Exit completion. As an ADN/PN option program, the curriculum is designed to prepare students to become qualified licensed practical nurses.
ADN Prelicensure students may declare the Practical Nursing track by completing the PNV required courses during the Spring or Summer semester. *
* With space availability and meeting program requirements
The Practical Nursing (PN) program at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, located in Biloxi, Mississippi at the Bryant Center, is state accredited by the Mississippi Community College Board (MCCB), 3825 Ridgewood Road Jackson, MS 39211 (601 432-6518), State Board of Nursing (MSBON), 713 S. Pear Orchard Rd #300, Ridgeland, MS 39157 (601-957-6300); and nationally accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326 (404) 975-5000.
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the Practical Nursing (PN) program is Continuing Accreditation. View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at http://www.acenursing.com/accreditedprograms/programsearch.htm.
Practical Nursing (Pre-licensure) Accreditation Status:
Year of Initial Accreditation: July 1998
Last Evaluation Visit: February 2021
Most Recent Action: October 2020
Next Evaluation Visit: Spring 2028
Successful completion of the Practical Nursing Option leads to an MGCCC diploma. Graduates will be eligible to apply for Licensure from the Mississippi Board of Nursing and take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing® given by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) and will earn the title Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) credentialed upon successful completion of the exam.
National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN – Professional License Requirements)
Program Mission, Concepts and End-of-Program Student Learning Outcomes
The mission of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College Nursing Program is to provide a learning environment that facilitates the development of qualified persons in the community to achieve the goal of becoming nurses who value the concepts of caring, competence and professionalism.
The Concepts and Outcomes of the Practical Nursing program are:
- Practice nursing that is client centered, caring, culturally sensitive and based on the physiological, psychosocial and spiritual needs of clients (Client-Centered Care).
- Serve as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team to promote continuity of client care (Interdisciplinary Collaboration).
- Use current evidence from scientific and other credible sources as a basis for nursing practice and clinical judgment (Evidence-Based Practice).
- Promote quality improvement by contributing to implementation of care related plans to improve health care services (Quality Improvement).
- Provide a safe environment for clients, self and others (Safety).
- Use information technology in the provision of client care (Informatics).
- Provide selected health-related education with the supervision of the RN, advanced practice RN, licensed physician or licensed dentist (Client-Education).
- Practice nursing in a professional, ethical, and legal manner with the supervision of the RN, advanced practice RN, licensed physician or licensed dentist (Professionalism).
Prior to Entering Program
- TEAS Entrance Exam $76 – $85 (Register at https://www.atitesting.com)
- Criminal Background Check $65 – $80 (MGCCC Campus Police)
Once Admitted into Program
- General MGCCC Tuition and Fees
- Career and Technical Program Fee $75 per credit hour
- Pre-admission Physical Exam and Immunizations $200 – $300
- E-books $600 – $800 – (No rentals or hard books required)
- Substance Testing $29 – $35 per semester
- Liability Insurance $12 – $15 per semester
- Standardized Exams & Resources – $500 per semester
- Workbooks, additional purchase items, supplies $300 – $500
- Uniform, Lab Coat, Shoes, Accessories $200 – $300
- Student Nurse Organization per year $40 – $60
- Nursing Conventions per semester $150 estimated (Required all semesters)
- Skills Lab Bag Fee $10 – $50
Additional Expenses During Final Program Semester
- Licensure Exam Fees $300 – $500
- School Pin and Nursing Lamp $50 – $200
Cost may be subject to change
Questions? Contact a nursing representative.