MGCCC Nursing student Michael Clough holding his winning QEP logo

Jonathan “J. Michael” Clough of Gulfport designed the winning logo for the QEP logo contest. The contest, which was announced in January 2019, was open to all MGCCC students. The top three entries won cash awards.

“It was very exciting to win the contest,” Clough said. “I’ve done websites and geeked around with lots of technology. I notice design and have definite ideas about it, but have never designed a logo. This was a first.”

Clough, who is a nursing student at the Bryant Center, said he immediately thought of the proverb “Hear No Evil; See No Evil; Speak No Evil.”

“That’s what my design is based on, with each of the three circles representing an eye, an ear and a mouth,” he said. “I also believe in logo/brand continuity, so I looked up the pantone colors that the college uses and also incorporated the college’s wave in the design.”

His attention to detail paid off, winning him $300 and creative acknowledgement.

“With no graphic design background, I really didn’t think I had a huge chance of winning,” he said. “I am very proud that mine was chosen, and I think it turned out pretty good. It’s really something seeing my logo being used on the website and in print materials.”

Share This Article