Jaycie Tungett as Miss FairparkJaycie Tungett is a very busy person.  A Leakesville native, she stays on the road between Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Perkinston Campus, her hometown, and the town of Fairpark, which she will represent in the Miss Mississippi competition.

“My family and I keep the roads hot,” she said.  “But we love every minute of it.”

Jaycie, her parents, and her two siblings are all very active in their community. Her family always makes time to attend Jaycie’s events, whether it’s performing with the Perkettes at the Perkinston Campus or one of the events she attends as part of the Miss Mississippi competition.

“On top of all of my commitments, my brother, Jack, is a junior at Greene County High School, where he is a part of the varsity soccer team and part of a nationally ranked travel soccer team, as well,” she said. “My sister, Addie, is an eighth grader at Leakesville Junior High School, where she is a part of the varsity softball team and volleyball team. We all try to be there for each other, so we definitely spend all our time on the road.”

Dancing since she was 2 years old, Tungett knew she would one day be a Perkette.

“I decided to come to MGCCC because of the Perkette dance team,” she said. “I have known for years that the program was the place for me!  Making the dance team was a dream come true, something I had aspired to for so long.  Dancing has always played a large role in my life, and yes, it will be my talent for Miss Mississippi.”

The Miss Mississippi competition, which is part of the Miss America program, will be held on June 7-10 in Vicksburg.  If crowned, Tungett would be Miss Mississippi 2024 and would represent the state in the Miss America pageant in December.

“I get nervous just thinking about it,” she said.  “The competition I entered in Fairpark was the first competition of this kind that I have ever entered.  Now, I must be ready for much bigger venues and some very, very stiff competition, I’m sure.”

A communications major, Tungett’s community service initiative is “Shining a Light on DIPG.”

DIPG (diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma) is a rare, fast-growing brain tumor, and Tungett has been traveling around the Tupelo area and her hometown spreading the word about research being done to cure the illness.

“I started this initiative because of a 10-year-old ballerina and friend who was diagnosed and passed away from DIPG,” she said. “My hope is to continue her light and legacy. Holding the title as Miss Mississippi will only be a bigger tool to continue to raise awareness and funding for this terminal cancer, hoping to one day find a cure.”

For now, she is focusing on her time at MGCCC and the Miss Mississippi pageant this summer.

“I’m not sure what the future holds for me, but I am excited about it,” she said.  “I’m trying to just enjoy the journey.”

Share This Article