Out-of-State Students

A limited number of out-of-state students who meet the standard admission requirements will be accepted for admission to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. The student should schedule an appointment with an enrollment specialist to have transfer coursework evaluated (if applicable). All out-of-state/out-of-country/non-resident students should refer to the following section for definitions and conditions that determine whether a student is a resident or non-resident student.

Determining Residency for Tuition Purposes

The definitions and conditions stated herein are excerpts taken from Mississippi statutory law, Mississippi code, Title 37, Chapter 103, sections 1 to 29 which govern residency and fees of students attending or applying for admission to educational institutions. Request for a review of residency classification should be submitted to the campus Director of Admissions and Records.

  1. Legal Residence of an Adult: The residence of an adult is the domicile, i.e., the place where the person physically resides with the intention of remaining or returning to if temporarily absent. MCA 37-103-13.
  2. Legal Residence for Persons under 21: The residence of a person under 21 years of age is that of the father, mother or general guardian duly appointed by a proper court in MS. However, if custody has been granted to one parent, then the person’s residency is that of the custodial parent. If both parents are deceased, residency is that of the last surviving parent unless the person under 21 lives with a general guardian, as appointed by a MS Court. MCA 37-103-7 eff. July 1, 2005. If both parents move out of Mississippi, a minor is immediately classified as a nonresident. MCA 37-103-11.
  3. When Residency Is Established: A student may not be admitted as a resident unless required documentation showing proof of established residency in Mississippi is provided prior to admission. MCA 37-103-3. Students who enroll as a nonresident must stop attending either a fall or spring semester to establish residency before reapplying for admission as a MS resident. A person entering the state to enter an educational institution is considered a nonresident and remains a nonresident even if adopted by a Mississippi resident or registers to vote or owns land. MCA 37-103-5. See exception in MCA 37-103-25(2) which provides that if a nonresident (1) was born in Mississippi but relocated outside Mississippi as a minor in their father or mother’s care, (2) is a veteran of the Armed Forces, and (3) is domiciled in Mississippi no later than six months after separation from service for the purpose of enrolling in a CC/IHL, then such person shall pay resident tuition and fees.
  4. Special Rule for Married Persons: A married person may claim the residency of their spouse or independent status under MCA 37-103-15. MCA 37-103-13.
  5. Special Rule for Children of Faculty and Staff: Children of parents who are members of the faculty or staff of a CC/IHL may be considered a resident for the purpose of attending that institution. MCA 37-103-9.
  6. Special MPACT Rule: An MPACT beneficiary is considered a resident. MCA 37-155-5(d) (iii); MS AG Op., Patterson (Oct.11, 1996).
  7. Special Military Provisions:
    1. Active Duty in Mississippi and Mississippi National Guard. Members of the Armed Forces on extended active duty in Mississippi and members of the Mississippi National Guard may be classified as residents. Resident status of those not residents of Mississippi per MCA 37-103-13 shall terminate upon reassignment for duty in the continental U.S. outside Mississippi. MCA 37-103-17. See MCA 37-103-21 for proof requirements.
    2. Status of Spouse and Children of Military Personnel on Extended Active Duty. Resident status of a spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces on extended active duty shall be that of the military spouse or parent during the time that the spouse or parent is stationed in Mississippi. Resident status continues if the military spouse or parent is reassigned from Mississippi to an overseas area (except training assignments en route from Mississippi). Resident status of a minor child terminates upon reassignment of the military parent for duty in the continental U.S. outside Mississippi. However, children who attain residency under this section and who begin and complete their senior year in high school in Mississippi and who enroll full-time in a CC/IHL for the fall after their graduation from high school maintain status as long as they remain enrolled in good standing (summer school is not required). MCA 37-103-19(1).
    3. Spouse or Child of a Member of the Armed Forces Who Dies or Is Killed. A spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces who dies or is killed is entitled to pay resident tuition if the spouse or child becomes a resident of Mississippi within 180 days of the date of death. MCA 37-103-19(2).
    4. Spouse or Child of a Member of the Armed Forces Stationed Outside Mississippi. If a spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces stationed outside Mississippi establishes residency in Mississippi and registers with a CC/IHL, the CC/IHL will permit the spouse or child to pay resident fees and tuition regardless of the length of time that the spouse or child has resided in Mississippi. MCA 37-103-19(3).
    5. Effect of Continuous Enrollment. If a member of the Armed Forces or their spouse or child is entitled to pay resident tuition and fees under another provision of this section while enrolled in an associate type degree or diploma program, they may continue to pay resident tuition and fees in subsequent terms while continuously enrolled in the same associate type degree or diploma program. (Student may withdraw or not enroll for one semester with medical documentation without losing status and no summer term is required. In addition, student’s status remains unchanged even if they are no longer a member of the Armed Forces or the child or spouse of a member of the Armed Forces). MCA 37-103-19(4).
  8. Aliens. Section 37-103-23 states that all aliens are classified as nonresidents. However, this section was declared unconstitutional in Jagmadan v Giles, 379 F. Supp. 1178 (N.D. Miss. 1974), affirmed in part on other grounds 538 F.2d 1166 (5th Cir. 1976). No statutory provision addressing aliens and residency for tuition purposes is currently in effect. Accordingly, aliens should be treated in the same manner as other persons attempting to prove resident status for the purpose of determining tuition and fees charged by CC/IHL’s.
    1. Immigrants Distinguished from Nonimmigrants. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, aliens are classified as (1) “immigrants”, i.e., persons seeking to be permanent residents, and (2) “nonimmigrants”, i.e. persons seeking admission to the U.S. for a limited time, usually for a limited purpose.
    2. Immigrants, Permanent Residents or “Green Card” Holders. Generally speaking, most persons having immigrant or permanent resident status (“green card” holders) have the ability to establish a domicile in Mississippi and to qualify as Mississippi residents.
    3. Nonimmigrant Visa Holders. Most persons holding nonimmigrant visas, including F-1 student visas, will not be able to demonstrate the requirements for a Mississippi domicile because their visas are temporary in nature and U.S. approval of their visas may have required a determination that the persons intended to return to their country of origin after the purpose of their visas is concluded. This being the case, the person’s domicile would remain in their country of origin. In addition, Section 37-103-5 provides that a person entering Mississippi to attend an educational institution is and remains a nonresident for tuition purposes. See 3 above.
  9. Miscellaneous Provisions. Any student willfully presenting false evidence of residency is deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. MCA 37-103-27. Law is not to be construed as requiring the admission of nonresidents. MCA 37-103-29.MS Driver’s License or MS State issued ID must be provided prior to enrollment to prove Mississippi residency along with (2) additional documents, listed below, reflecting a Mississippi address:
    • Emancipation Documents
    • Employment Documents
    • MS Court Appointed Guardianship Documents
    • Homestead Exemption
    • MS State Income Tax Return
    • Lease Agreement
    • Military Orders
    • Mortgage Documents
    • Utility Bill
    • Vehicle Registration
    • Voter Registration Card
    • Other approved documentation

International Students

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College reserves the right to determine the number of international students admitted. International students must meet all of the following admissions requirements at least six weeks prior to enrollment (November 1 for the spring semester or July 1 for the fall semester):

  1. Complete a Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College application for admission.
  2. Provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and Rubella. In addition, the State of Mississippi requires all new foreign applicants to be screened for tuberculosis by the local office of the Mississippi Department of Public Health. Tuberculosis screening must take place in the United States.
  3. If English is not the native language of the applicant one of the following is required:
    1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 500 on the paper based, 61 on Internet Based (iBT), and 173 on the computer based test. (It is recommended that the applicant take the Test of Written English portion of the TOEFL.)
    2. b. A grade of “C” or better in English Composition I and English Composition II transferred from a regionally accredited university or college within the United States
    3. c. Proven proficiency in English following completion of English as a Second Language (ESL), English Language Institute, or Intensive English Language Program provided through a U.S. college or university designed for non-native born students. A letter of recommendation from the program director indicating the student has achieved “proficiency satisfactory to enroll in and successfully complete college work and is able to converse and communicate intelligibly and effectively” must accompany certification of completion.
  4. Complete, official scholastic records translated into English (if these are being submitted from a high school, a graduation or completion date must be listed on the transcript) and evaluated by an approved credentialing agency*. Applicants who have not received a degree equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma may submit a passing High School Equivalency (HSE) transcripts. Transcripts from colleges or universities outside of the United States must be submitted to an approved evaluation service* for evaluation and translation. If the student would like to have credit applied towards a degree from MGCCC, the evaluation service must provide course comparisons for the appropriate courses. Results should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions at the appropriate campus. This process will take four to six weeks and the college must receive the evaluation prior to the six-week admissions deadline.
  5. Official transcripts from regionally accredited colleges or universities (if applicable). Applicants who have completed 12 or more semester hours of college level from regionally accredited colleges or universities are required to submit only their United States transcripts.
  6. Provide a copy of the applicant’s passport with an effective date through the first six months of enrollment.
  7. Provide a notarized Affidavit of Support from a bank indicating available American funds sufficient for tuition, transportation, and room and board for at least the first year of the student’s enrollment ($14,590.00).
  8. To secure housing, complete the online Housing Application and pay the $50 application fee. Residence hall rooms are available on the Perkinston campus on a first come first serve basis. Please note that residence halls are closed during college scheduled breaks and holidays. Students will not be allowed to remain in campus housing during these times and must make their own housing arrangements for scheduled breaks and holidays.
  9. Prior to registration, applicants may be required to schedule a personal interview with the Admissions Director and selected instructors to determine the student’s ability to perform in the chosen field of study.
  10. Participate in an orientation session prior to registration.

Following completion of admission requirements, the Admissions Office will mail the applicant the form I-20.

*The evaluation service is at the expense of the student. Transfer credit from a foreign institution will be considered for acceptance if a course-by-course evaluation is obtained from an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). NACES identifies foreign colleges/universities meeting the highest standards for accreditation in their countries. Agency information may be obtained at www.naces.org.

SEVIS Fee Notice

Effective September 1, 2004, all international students applying for F-1 status are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee at www.fmjfee.com. New students and exchange visitors with a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued on or after September 1, 2004 are subject to the fee. Continuing students and exchange visitors are not required to pay the fee except under certain circumstances. For complete information on payment of the fee go to www.fmjfee.comwww.ice.gov or call 1-212-620-3418.