Drum MajorsMississippi Gulf Coast Community College has announced three drum majors to lead the 215-member Band of Gold for the 2021-2022 season.  They are Ronnie Hurley of Gulfport, Jayden Jones of Biloxi and Hailey Hudgins of Ocean Springs.

“We had a number of highly qualified students audition for the drum major spots and these three simply rose to the top,” said Dr. James Standland, MGCCC director of Bands. “I am confident they are all excited and prepared to handle the duties of the highest position in the Band of Gold. They are great leaders and, more importantly, students with high standards and impeccable integrity.”

Hurley is a sophomore returning as drum major from last year.  “I am so excited to have the opportunity to do this again and be part of the Band of Gold,” he said. “I learned so much last year working alongside the directors, fellow Drum Majors and peers. I am excited to work with the Band of Gold this year, and I know we are going to accomplish so much and do amazing work as a team.”

He said that last year was very different than he expected after making drum major in the fall. “Last year was quite unusual and not really as much fun because of COVID-19. Despite the quarantines, the Band of Gold went against all odds and we performed our hearts out when and where we could. This year we are getting back to a normal schedule, so I am thrilled to do things like going to away games, competitions, and parades.”

Jones, who is a sophomore, said she hopes to follow in the footsteps of former drum major Jacob Scott and she feels that stepping into his role at MGCCC is a dream come true.

“To be a drum major at MGCC is a feeling like no other,” she said. “I’ve dreamed of being a drum major at this school for a long time because Jacob Scott was my biggest role model when it came to drum majors. To be able to finally fulfill my dream feels amazing, and I thank God for this opportunity.”

She said she knows she has big shoes to fill. “I look forward to being a great role model for the band and to make sure everyone is having a great experience like Jacob and Ronnie and other drum majors did in past years. I am all about working hard and having fun. I am also looking forward to being able to have a real marching season this year.”

Hailey Hudgins is a freshman this year and said she is both nervous and excited about her new role.  “For a while, it didn’t seem real that I was chosen as a drum major for the Band of Gold. Now I’m starting to prepare for my new responsibilities. I look forward to seeing how much I will grow as a person in this position, and I hope that I can make a positive impact in this leadership position.”

For more information on the Band of Gold, visit mgccc.edu/band-of-gold/.

Share This Article