The Stone County Arts Council recently donated $10,000 to the Perkinston Campus Community Arts – Yellow Brick Project for use at the Community Arts Center and the Arts Trail in Perkinston. Since October 2014, the Arts Council has donated $30,000 to the Project.
Donations have been used as matching money for multiple grants with the Mississippi Arts Commission and the Mississippi Development Authority to provide arts in the Perkinston community.
Upcoming projects include the following:
- A mural that will showcase Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s history of the Dairy Barn and agriculture background.
- Art Trail banners that will highlight the children’s books “The Longleaf and Me: A to Z” and “The Watershed and Me: A to Z,” which prepare students (elementary and college) to identify local plant life, insects, and animals.
- A Little Library to share children’s books and activities.
- An Arts–In-Motion Art Walk in which MGCCC fine arts instructors working with the Arts Council members will create an arts rotation on the trail for elementary school students to experience dance, music, singing, art, and storytelling,
- Art supplies and materials for community workshops for students and community members of all ages.