Goldie the chicken
Goldie

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s School of Visual and Performing Arts is hosting an art show and gallery talk with former student-artist, Ciara Fountain at the Perkinston Campus from September 25-October 31. A gallery talk with the artist will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the campus Visual Arts Center on September 26.  The gallery talk and the exhibition, “The Chickens I’ve Known,” are free and open to the public. Refreshments will follow.

Fountain was raised in Stone County, Mississippi. Her desire to create began as a child making messes with markers, chalk, or paint. Through encouragement from her parents, art workshops, and study with multiple individuals, she chose to pursue art as a profession. Her artistic influence originated from centuries past to living local artists whom she has met and worked alongside. Ciara’s inspirations include Italian and German Renaissance artists, Impressionist artists, graphic artists, and story illustrators.

She enjoys multiple traditional mediums as well as computer graphics and continues to experiment with new media. She often studies detail, such as the flowing pattern of feathers along a bird’s wing, but she also likes creating representative forms of subjects and more simple illustrations.

Fountain graduated from MGCCC with an Associate of Art Degree (2017) and summa cum laude from William Carey University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Graphic Design (2020). While at WCU, she was awarded a silver American Advertising Award (ADDY) for one of her graphic designs. In addition to her artistic pursuits, Ciara currently serves as secretary of the Stone County Arts Council.

When asked how she decided on this show, she responded with a story from her childhood.

“As a child, when I visited my grandfather, I would toddle through the yard to see his chickens,” she said. “One day, he told me to pick my favorites as a gift.”  Her father helped her build a chicken coop. When completed, she brought them home. She has had chickens ever since.

She added, “This art show, ‘Chickens I’ve Known,’ features a selection of my many feathered friends from past and present.” Her artwork is filled with personal and emotional meaning inspired by the memories of her grandfather, her childhood, and the pets that she has treasured throughout her life.

The Visual Arts Gallery is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until noon.

For more information on the Gallery or the show, contact Sandra Cassibry at sandra.cassibry@mgccc.edu.

Roo the rooster
Roo

Share This Article