“Jones Bayou” is an acrylic on canvas by artist Cetin Oguz. Oguz’s work is on exhibit at MGCCC’s Harrison County Campus “Jones Bayou” is an acrylic on canvas by artist Cetin Oguz. Oguz’s work is on exhibit at MGCCC’s Harrison County Campus in the Fine Arts Gallery.in the Fine Arts Gallery.
“Jones Bayou” is an acrylic on canvas by artist Cetin Oguz. Oguz’s work is on exhibit at MGCCC’s Harrison County Campus in the Fine Arts Gallery.

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College’s Harrison County Campus will host an exhibit by artist Cetin Oguz February 1-28 in the campus Fine Arts Gallery.  The exhibit, Blurred Clarity, deals with time.

Oguz, Fine Arts department chair at Delta State University, said all of his pieces focus on his memories of time and place.  “I am attached to the present moment when I create art,” he said. “I contemplate the possibilities and form the future by each layer, stroke, transition and color. In my work, I reminisce of the places I’ve lived, and interpret the sceneries I witness. I know that everything changes through time, and my mind and senses aren’t immune to this phenomenon. Through abstraction, I embed myself to the ever-changing aspect of time, place and memory. I transform as time passes, as places change and as memories fade. All of this takes place with an instant brush stroke or click of a button.”

Oguz is a native of Turkey, where he became interested in contemporary painting and drawing.  He received his undergraduate degree from Delta State University and a Master of Fine Arts degree from Memphis College of Art.  His works often reflect his life in Turkey as well as his life in the Mississippi Delta.

There is no charge for gallery exhibits, and it is open to the public.  For more information, contact Matt Steadman at (228) 897-3736 or matthew.steadman@mgccc.edu.

Share This Article