This course, offered each fall and spring semester on the Harrison County Campus, is a single, 7-credit course that prepares individuals to function in the pre-hospital environment.
EMT basic course, EMS 1117, provides instruction in basic life support care of sick and injured persons, including:
- Airway assessment
- Shock management
- General pharmacology for the basic provider
- Hemorrhage control
- Ambulance operations
- Splinting of adult, pediatric and infant patients
- Special care of patients exposed to heat, cold, radiation, hazardous materials, poisons or contagious disease
EMT 1117 consists of didactic and laboratory class time as well as, clinical training in the hospital setting and training aboard an ambulance. Completion of this course qualifies the student to be eligible to sit for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians exam.
This course is prerequisite for entry to the Emergency Medical Sciences Paramedic Program this course is prerequisite for entry to the EMT-Paramedic Training Program.
- Submit copies of official transcripts of all schools attended to the Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be reviewed by the Office of Admission for determination of course credits.
- Meet all Academic Requirements (listed below) and complete any program pre-requisites or Entry Requirements.
- Age of at least 18.
- Ability to read and write.
- High school graduate or high school equivalency equivalent.
- Review the online mandatory Pre-School of Nursing and Health Professions Orientation Session prior to completing the supplemental application for program ranking. The session can be viewed anytime and anywhere you have access to the internet. The Power Point presentation gives you valuable information on topics common to all School of Nursing and Health Professions programs at MGCCC. Even without the ability to speak directly or interact immediately with a School of Nursing and Health Professions advisor, the session speaks to frequently asked questions from program entrance to completion. In order to receive credit for viewing the session, follow the steps below. The information is approximately one (1) hour in length.To complete this requirement do the following:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application Orientation Session.
- In order to receive credit, you must review the entire session.
- Click survey complete so that your log-in information will be recorded in the college’s BANNER system
- Comply with Mississippi law requiring a Criminal Background History Check with Fingerprinting through the Mississippi Department of Health. All students making application to a School of Nursing and Health Professions program at MGCCC are required to obtain a clear or acceptable Criminal Background Check from the MGCCC Campus Police Department at HC, JC, Perkinston, or GC Campus. The criminal background check policy (including testing dates and times) can be viewed at School of Nursing and Health Professions Criminal Background Check Policy .
- All School of Nursing and Health Professions students are required to submit to substance testing in accordance with the substance testing policy and procedures. The testing policy can be viewed by clicking here: School of Nursing and Health Professions Substance Testing Policy .
- The School of Nursing and Health Professions requires proof of Immunizations and/or CPR. Submission of all required documents will begin following program acceptance. Failure to meet the requirements will result in withdrawal/dismissal.
- Adherence to additional clinical affiliation requirements may be necessary depending on clinical rotation placement. (i.e. hospital orientation, HIPAA training, CPR certification)
- School of Nursing and Health Professions Student Manual (PDF)
- After successful completion and submission of ALL academic and entry requirements, the student is eligible to complete the EMT-Basic Supplemental Application for Program Admission.To complete and submit the online Supplemental Application:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application. Thereafter, the applicant MUST read the guidelines carefully. In order to complete and submit the application, college admission and ALL pre-requisite requirements are required.
Prior to Entering Program
- Physical Exam and Immunizations $200.00 – $300.00
- Criminal Background Check $65.00 (MGCCC Campus Police)
- General MGCCC Tuition and Fees
- Career/Technical Program Fees $40 per credit hour
- Liability Insurance $12.00
- Uniform, Accessories $100.00-$200.00
- Pre-admission Physical Exam and Immunizations $200.00 – $300.00
- Substance Testing $29.00 per semester
- Pre-admission Criminal Background Check $65.00 (MGCCC Campus Police)
- EMT Skills Bag $70
- National Registry Examination Fee – EMT Level $115
Cost may be subject to change.