- Apply and become accepted to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. You can apply to MGCCC online.
- Submit copies of official transcripts of all schools attended to the Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be reviewed by the Office of Admission for determination of course credits.
- Meet all Academic Requirements (listed below) and complete any program pre-requisites or Entry Requirements.
After successful completion and submission of ALL academic and entry requirements (See section below), the student is eligible to complete the Health Information Technology Supplemental Application for Program Admission.
To complete and submit the online Supplemental Application:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application.
Thereafter, the applicant MUST read the guidelines carefully. In order to complete and submit the application, college admission and ALL pre-requisite requirements are required.
Supplemental Application Deadline Dates:
- Fall Semester
- Priority Deadline: July 1
Application Close: August 18
- Spring Semester
- Priority Deadline: Open until filled
If deadline falls on a weekend, holiday, or closing, the deadline is 5 p.m. on the next college business day . ALL required test scores, transcripts, and entry items (CBC, pre-orientation, etc.) must be completed with results placed in Banner (MGCCC’s computer information system) by the appropriate college employee prior to the deadline. In addition, any outstanding college holds must be clear in order for the applicant to complete and submit the supplemental program application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. (MGCCC reserves the right to review additional supplemental applications following the posted deadline).
Academic and Entry Requirements
- Achieve a minimum Accuplacer English placement score of 502 (Next Generation Exam)
- Achieve a minimum Accuplacer Math placement score 231 (Next Generation Exam)
- Hold a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 on college work
- Complete prerequisites: BIO 2514 – Anatomy and Physiology I, ENG 1113 (English Composition I) and CSC 1123 (Computer Applications I*) or BAD 2533 (Computer Applications in Business and Industry)
- Complete the online mandatory pre- School of Nursing and Health Professions orientation session prior to completing the supplemental application for program ranking. The session can be viewed anytime and anywhere you have access to the internet. The Power Point presentation gives you valuable information on topics common to all School of Nursing and Health Professions programs at MGCCC. Even without the ability to speak directly or interact immediately with a School of Nursing and Health Professions advisor, the session speaks to frequently asked questions from program entrance to completion. In order to receive credit for viewing the session, follow the steps below. The correct college M# must be included. The session is one (1) hour in length.
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application Orientation Session.
- In order to receive credit, you must review the entire session.
- Click survey complete so that your session information will be recorded in the college’s BANNER system.
- Have a consistent and reliable computer with Internet access and required components (Sound card with speakers, printer, microphone, web-camera capable of video web conferencing).
- Have a basic understanding of computer terminology, specifications, software and applications (Microsoft® Windows® 7 or later/Firefox/Chrome, Microsoft Office® 2010 or later, Adobe® Reader® 9.0 or later, navigating the Internet, sending and receiving emails with and without attachments, and an Antivirus application updated regularly)
- Comply with Mississippi law requiring a Criminal Background History Check with Fingerprinting through the Mississippi Department of Health. All students making application to a Health Science program at MGCCC are required to obtain a clear or acceptable Criminal Background Check from the MGCCC Campus Police Department at HC, JC, Perkinston, or GC Campus. The criminal background check policy (including testing dates and times) can be viewed at School of Nursing and Health Professions Criminal Background Check Policy.
Program openings are filled based on Selective Admission; applicants are ranked based on their individual achievement test scores and prior college course work. Student ranking for entry into the HIT program is based on a point system. Students are awarded points for the required Accuplacer, Bonus points will also be awarded for successful completion of any other college credit courses which could be used to complete degree requirements for the AAS option. Program enrollment is a floating number which can fluctuate each year based on availability of clinical rotation slots. Students who are selected are also held to the following program policies.
Health Information Technology Program Policies
- All School of Nursing and Health Professions students are required to submit to substance testing in accordance with the substance testing policy and procedures for the Health Sciences Division. The testing policy can be viewed by clicking here: School of Nursing and Health Professions Substance Testing Policy
- The School of Nursing and Health Professions requires proof of Immunizations and/or CPR. Submission of all required documents will begin following program acceptance. Failure to meet the requirements will result in withdrawal/dismissal.
- Upon admission to the Health Information Technology program, students must maintain a 2.0 GPA on the required courses and complete each course with a C or better.
- Adherence to additional clinical affiliation requirements may be necessary depending on clinical rotation placement. (i.e. hospital orientation, HIPPA training, CPR certification).
- View the School of Nursing and Health Professions Student Manual.