MGCCC’s RAs are Here to Help
The Resident Assistants (RAs) of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College are student staff members who live with students on the wings and floors of our Perkinston Campus housing. Our full-time residence Hall Supervisors train and directly supervise the RAs and have overall responsibility of the residence halls.
Resident Assistant Benefits
RAs receive a scholarship equivalent to the cost of a double room as compensation for their responsibilities. In addition to the scholarship benefits, working as an RA can help you achieve personal development goals (building your resume, learning leadership and organizational skills, conflict resolution, etc.) and help build lifelong friendships.
Duties and Responsibilities
RAs are responsible for developing a positive community, establishing and maintaining relationships with their residents, and performing administrative duties that keep the residence halls running smoothly.
Student Development and Programming
- Develops a positive residence hall community by planning activities, meetings, bulletin boards, and programs throughout the school year.
- Helps maintain an environment conducive to study.
- Holds floor meetings for residents.
- Attends the RA Class Wednesdays from 2-3pm.
- Communicates weekly with all assigned residents to establish contact, identify problem areas, impart and obtain information, and answer questions.
- Uses an ‘open door’ policy while in their room to allow residents to approach them if they need assistance.
- Functions as a resource referral for students with emotional, health, or academic problems by directing them to the appropriate office on campus and follow through with appropriate notification to Hall Supervisor (HS).
- Maintains resident confidentiality except to notify HS.
- Checks residents in and out of the residence hall.
- Ensures the accuracy of hall rosters and room assignments.
- Notifies the HS of any residents not living in their assigned space or of residents living on a floor that are not assigned.
- Makes regular visual inspections of the condition of the facilities.
- Helps maintain key inventory and reports any discrepancies.
- Works (9) hours a week at the residence hall front desk.
- Checks guests of residents in and out of the building.
- Escorts maintenance staff and vendors while in the building.
- Participates in a rotating, on-call schedule with other RAs.
- Serves as the staff contact person while on-call.
- Navigate halls and responds to emergencies quickly.
- Attends and contributes to RA training, conferences, workshop sessions, and weekly residence hall staff meetings.
- Participates in the residence hall staff selection process as needed.
- Maintains frequent contact with HS.
- Observes and guides the general behavior of their residents.
- Documents all behavior problems and subsequent actions.
- Refers particular incidents to the appropriate staff member (HS, Campus Police, etc).
- Confronts behavior in a manner consistent with an educational focus on the effects of inappropriate behavior on community living.
- Serves as a witness or provides testimony for the validation of conduct documentation as needed.
Apply to be an RA
We are NOT currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. Thank you for your interest in this position!Apply to be an RA