State Authorization for Online Education

If you are a Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) student or a prospective student who will not reside in Mississippi while enrolled in MGCCC online classes, be aware that all U.S. states require post-secondary educational institutions to be legally authorized to provide online education courses to students in all states and territories. MGCCC participates in the “National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA),” an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary online education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional educational compacts.”

Colleges and universities in a SARA state only need their home state authorization to offer online education to any other SARA member state. A current list of member states can be found here.

Online Education Complaint Process

For MGCCC’s Out-of-State Students

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College seeks to resolve concerns and complaints in a fair and timely manner. Students who have a complaint may submit their concerns in accordance with the Student Complaint and Grievance Procedures which are located in the MGCCC Student Handbook. Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are governed entirely by the MGCCC policy. MGCCC online students with academic concerns are encouraged to contact their instructor first to work toward a resolution.  If no resolution is reached, students should follow the Student Complaint and Grievance Procedures in the MGCCC Student Handbook.

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College student complaints process, students may file a complaint with the Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation by visiting their site. Students may also contact the appropriate agency in their state of residency. A current list of agencies can be found here.

MCCA Complaint Process

Note: This process is not applicable to matters related to student grades or discipline/conduct matters.

Professional Licensure

If you live outside the state of Mississippi and are considering a program that leads to licensure, it is highly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing board in your home state before beginning an academic program at MGCCC. While every attempt is made to stay informed of the laws in each state, it is the responsibility of the student to contact the appropriate licensing board in his or her home state to confirm whether or not the MGCCC program will meet the state’s licensure requirements.

Licensure requirement for the program you are considering can be found here. Click here for a list of MGCCC programs that require licensure and the links to the professional licensing boards that regulate the associated professions.

Answer Center Hours

Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Want to attend MGCCC?

Contact a College Representative