MGCCC’s Surgical Technology Program
The Surgical Technology program begins each Fall and Spring semester, and supplemental applications are due by July 1st (Fall enrollment) or November 1st (Spring enrollment).
If deadline falls on a weekend, holiday, or college closing, the deadline is 5:00 p.m. on the next college business day.
If you have questions about the application process, contact an Enrollment Specialist.
Apply to MGCCC
Apply and become accepted to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. You can apply to MGCCC online.
Submit copies of official transcripts of all schools attended to the Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be reviewed by the Office of Admission for determination of course credits.
Review and complete the Mandatory Pre-School of Nursing and Health Professions Orientation Session
The session can be viewed any time and anywhere you have access to the internet. The PowerPoint presentation gives you valuable information on topics common to all School of Nursing and Health Professions programs at MGCCC. Even without the ability to speak directly or interact immediately with a School of Nursing and Health Professions advisor, the session speaks to frequently asked questions from program entrance to completion. In order to receive credit for viewing the session, follow the steps below. The information is approximately one (1) hour in length.To complete this requirement do the following:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application Orientation Session.
- In order to receive credit, you must review the entire session.
- Click survey complete so that your log-in information will be recorded in the college’s BANNER system.
Accuplacer testing is offered at the MGCCC Assessment Centers.
- Achieve a minimum Accuplacer English Placement score (Traditional Exam = 175; Next Generation Exam = 502)
- Achieve a minimum Accuplacer Math Placement score (Traditional Exam = 53; Next Generation Exam = 231)
Hold a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 on college work with no grade less than “C” on any Academic Core courses in the SUT curriculum.
Complete the following Prerequisite Courses: BIO 2514, BIO 2524, ENG 1113 & MAT 1313.
Hold a current American Heart Association CPR for BLS Providers.
Get a Criminal Background Check
All students in a School of Nursing and Health Professions program at MGCCC must obtain a clear or acceptable Criminal Background Check from an MGCCC Campus Police Department at HC, JC, GC, or Perkinston Campus.
For testing times, dates, and more information on this policy, download the School of Nursing and Health Professions Criminal Background Check Policy and Information Sheet.
This policy is in compliance with Mississippi law requiring a Criminal Background History Check with Fingerprinting through the Mississippi Department of Health.
Complete the Supplemental Surgical Technology Application
Fall Entry: Complete and submit the online Supplemental Application between April 15th and July 1st.
Spring Entry: Complete and submit the online Supplemental Application between August 15th and November 1st.
To complete and submit the online Supplemental Application:
- Visit Web Services.
- Select Student.
- Select School of Nursing and Health Professions Supplemental Application.
Thereafter, the applicant MUST read the guidelines carefully. In order to complete and submit the application, college admission and ALL pre-requisite requirements are required.
Program openings are filled based on Selective Admission; applicants are ranked based on their individual achievement test scores and prior college course work. Student ranking for entry into the SUT program is based on a point system.
Students are awarded points for their required ACCUPLACER, general education prerequisite course grades, and cumulative GPA.
Program enrollment is a floating number which can fluctuate each year based on availability of clinical rotation slots. Students who are selected are also held to the following program policies.
Surgical Technology Program Policies
- All School of Nursing and Health Professions students are required to submit to substance testing in accordance with the substance testing policy and procedures. View the School of Nursing and Health Professions Substance Testing Policy.
- The School of Nursing and Health Professions requires proof of Immunizations and/or CPR. Submission of all required documents will begin following program acceptance. Failure to meet the requirements will result in withdrawal/dismissal.
- Upon admission to the Surgical Technology program, students must maintain a 2.0 GPA on the required courses and complete each course with a C or better.
- Adherence to additional clinical affiliation requirements may be necessary depending on clinical rotation placement. (i.e. hospital orientation, HIPAA training, CPR certification)
- School of Nursing and Health Professions Student Manual (PDF)