2023 Hurricane Season Update

Hurricane season begins each year on June 1, and MGCCC administration has plans in place for potential storms and storm surges/flooding. All college employees are encouraged to take a moment to update their department employee phone numbers. Both employees and students should ensure they have up-to-date emergency contact information in Web Services. Most importantly, employees, and students should also review their personal emergency weather plans.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season. In its annual seasonal outlook, the agency predicts a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season and a 30 percent chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, five to nine could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including one to four major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5, with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA has a 70 percent confidence in these ranges.

NOAA’s outlook echoes those made by several research institutions and private companies. Colorado State University revised its predictions to align with NOAA because of conditions in the Gulf of Mexico.  Near-record high water temperatures in the tropics, which support tropical cyclone development and the entrance of El Niño, a weather pattern in the Pacific which increases vertical wind shear in the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic, will compete to create and destroy potential storms this year.

MGCCC administration wants to remain prepared for any eventuality as there is always a possibility of a storm striking the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

How to stay in touch

Communications play a key role during any emergency, so college information will be communicated through the Regroup Mass Notification System, the college website, and social media.

To enhance communication efforts, please review the following checklist:

  • To ensure you receive emergency notifications through Regroup, visit Web Services. After you have logged in, select Emergency Contact Information under the General tab. It will ask you to provide both a cellphone number and emergency email address. You will receive emergency information such as a telephone call/voice mail, a text message, and/or an email message.
  • Employees and students are encouraged to check the website and the college’s official social media channels for periodic updates during severe-weather situations. These updates can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
  • The College’s primary phone line, (228) 896-2536, will be updated to reflect any updates pertaining to campus closures for severe-weather incidents.
  • If evacuation becomes necessary, students and employees who evacuate will find important updates through local television, radio, and newspapers as well as Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s statewide network of radio and television affiliates. MPB’s radio frequencies are listed on all state evacuation signs.
  • The College administration will continue to monitor evolving conditions in the tropics and will issue updates throughout the summer and fall.
  • If updates are necessary, they will be posted periodically on this section of the website throughout the 2023 hurricane season.

Be Prepared

Preparedness Tips:

You should stock your home with supplies that may be needed during the emergency period. At a minimum, these supplies should include the following:

  • Several clean containers for water, large enough for a 3-5 day supply of water (about five gallons for each person).
  • A 3-5 day supply of non-perishable food.
  • A first-aid kit and manual.
  • A battery-powered radio, flashlights and extra batteries.
  • Sleeping bags or extra blankets.
  • Water-purifying supplies, such as chlorine or iodine tablets or unscented, ordinary household chlorine bleach.
  • Prescription medicines and special medical needs.
  • Baby food and/or prepared formula, diapers and other baby supplies.
  • Disposable cleaning cloths, such as “baby wipes,” for the whole family to use in case bathing facilities are not available.
  • Personal hygiene supplies, such as soap, toothpaste, sanitary napkins, etc.
  • An emergency kit for your car with food, flares, booster cables, maps, tools, a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, sleeping bags, etc.

The following sites are also important to hurricane preparedness:

The safety, protection and well-being of our employees and students are of the utmost importance as we prepare for severe weather and other emergencies.

Answer Center Hours

Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Want to attend MGCCC?

Contact a College Recruiter